Thursday, August 19, 2010

A grocery store scam!

Thanks to Rachael Ray I'm now using my stale bread! Several months ago I watched her cook up some great looking meal (like usual) and while she was cooking she threw out a fantastic tip. (Who says TV isn't good for anything?) Her meal was using stale bread that she had frozen, which in of itself was a great idea. BUT the tip I liked and used today was to use it to make bread crumbs. She basically puts stale bread in the freezer until she has a decent amount stored up and then throws it into the food processor and voila--bread crumbs. Easy, huh? Well, I've been compiling a serious amount of stale bread since then. You know the random hot dog bun that doesn't have a hot dog to marry it, the butt of the bread that only 10% of the world's population enjoys so the rest of us throw it away, the hard & deformed english muffin that got shoved to the back of the fridge. I know you've got them, people! Why not make something useful out of those poor sorry pieces of bread? Anyway, I did and I think it took me a whole 5 minutes to whip up a huge amount of bread crumbs. I grabbed my big bag of random breads that had dried out (watch out that you don't use any with mold on them!), threw a bunch in the food processor, poured it into a ziplock bag, labeled it and DONE!





After doing that today, I saw how easy that was AND how "unwasteful" making your own bread crumbs can be. Then I thought, what a scam! They've been selling us this stuff at the grocery store for years and charging around $2 a tin for stale bread! It's almost as big of scam as bottled tap water. So, there you have it, a really simple way to use something you were going to throw away and save you a few dollars at the check out line. Thank you Rachael Ray! Breaded chicken for dinner anyone? 

P.S. I should note to all my local readers: if you need bread crumbs, I'm sharing! :) I have a TON as you can see. Let me know if you want some.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to do this forever? Can you use a blender? I don't have a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd think so. I don't think the food processor does anything special in this case. You might as well give it a try--it's stale bread anyway! ;) If you lived here, I'd give you a big bag full!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...