Thursday, August 12, 2010

Small Changes=Big Difference

If you've been following along, you've heard me talk about how we are on a journey to change the way we live to better our world in a whole lot of ways. One of those ways is to protect and be good stewards of the natural resources God has given us. So when I came across an ad in the Ace Hardware flyer this week, I had to show it to my husband. It was for a Dual Flush Toilet Kit. Hello! Amazing idea! Who know these things existed? Obviously, not me! ;) Well, as I read up on it, it's a device you put into your existing toilet (saving you a bunch of money by not replacing the whole thing) and it flushes two different directions. One direction is a half flush and uses significantly less water and the other is a full flush. The benefits include using about 20-30 gallons less of water per day, lowering water intake, lowering sewer usage, reducing the impact on septic systems, making a positive impact on the environment, and saving money on your water bill. That's a nice list isn't it? So you ask, how much is this handy piece of equipment? The answer $27.14 including taxes! What a steal, right? I'm very excited about this find. It seems like such a small way to make a larger impact not only for ourselves, but for the world! It seems pretty easy to install, so hopefully that's true! ;) I guess it depends on how much of a handyman you're married too! :) I'll have to post about it after we've been using it for a while to give you some updates. We chose to only get one at this time because of our money makeover it'll be easier on our budget if we get the second one at a later date. I'm not expecting it to  make a huge difference for us on our bill right now because we only have 3 people in the house using the toilets regularly, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Along these same lines, some of our other ideas include changing out the shower heads to ones that use less that 2 gallons of water per minute. I saw one today that used 1.5/min and was $25. I'm going to be going to a store that I have $10 off a $25 purchase coupon though! :) Getting a rain barrel to use for watering our lawn, garden and other projects. We'd like to do some landscaping in the backyard that helps with shade, etc but that'll probably have to wait until we have a better handle on our finances. We're going to be signing up for a program through United Power to help the city use less electricity during the summer when ACs are running. A few others too, but I can't remember them all right now! I'm sure you'll be hearing about them as we get those changes made.

For now, here is a picture of our new toilet kit in case any of you are interested in going to get one too.


So there you have it! If you ever stop by for a visit you'll be saving water each time you go to the bathroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...