Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cheap & Easy Dinner

A while ago I shared with you how handy having frozen meatballs around can be. Today I'm going to share with you another cheap and easy dinner idea to use up more of those meatballs you bought!

I got this recipe from one of my best friends in college. It's seriously one of the easiest  S&S recipes. You can also make it with rotisserie chicken/leftover chicken or chicken nuggets. I'll give you the actual amounts for the sauce (enough for 4 people) and then you'll have to adjust the meatballs and rice according to your preference and family size.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs
-1 Pot of rice $1 
-1/4 bag of meatballs $1.25
Make according to packages. I usually brown my meatballs in the oven. 


Sauce:
1 C pineapple juice (add water if necessary)
1 T vegetable oil
Heat on low for 1 minute.

6 T water
3 T corn starch
1 T soy sauce
3 T vinegar
1/3 C sugar
*Mix together in the juice mixture. Stir on medium heat until thick.
Approx. cost for sauce ingredients thus far $1


1 Can of Pineapple Chunks $1
1/2 Chopped Green Pepper $0.50 (assuming they are 1/each, but can be found for less)

Add pineapple and peppers. Heat until hot and serve over meatballs and rice.

Total cost for dinner: $4.75

Linked up to

2 comments:

  1. So true! I had some in the house recently. With young twins, I don't have a lot of time to cook, but man... it was so easy to pull those out and there are so many fun things you can do to dress them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they awesome and reasonable priced too! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I'll be swinging by soon to find out more about your twins!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...