Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Giant Pot Chili

Chili has to be one of the easiest things to make it bulk and can be a really inexpensive meal. This week I did just that. To cut the costs even more, I bought the bags of beans (rather then the cans) which only cost about $1 each and make a whole lot more! It did take some time, but not really "working time". The beans do need to sit over night in water to soak, but that only takes 5 minutes the night before to get them ready and then you let them cook alone for about 1 1/2-2 hours and then it's just like making your regular recipe. So, for about $5-6 I got 5 meals (maybe a little more if you count for lunches) out of it!  We ate it the night I made it and then I filled 4 large freezer storage bags with the leftovers. It's also easy and inexpensive to stretch the chili too. If you need a little extra filler you can serve it over rice and/or make cornbread or another side. I loved the savings I got out of using three bags of beans! It's a rice and beans budget, but doesn't has to always taste like it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...