Friday, October 22, 2010

Stuffed Shells

Like I mentioned in the previous post, I was making lasagna to freeze and decided since stuffed shells have such a similar list of ingredients, I'd might as well make a pan or two of them too.

Let me tell you a few reasons why I like stuffed shells:
-Cheap, but looks classier then lasagna
-Can be vegetarian and no one will wonder where the meat went! :)
-Easy to make
-Great for company

Here's what I did:
-I took the left over ricotta/egg/seasonings mixture from the lasagna (about 1/2 of the container) and scooped it into the cooked shells.
-Put them in a pan that has a thin layer of marinara on the bottom
-Pour some marinara over the shells and sprinkle with cheese.
-Bake or freeze

That's it! So easy, so cheap, so yummy. It probably cost under $5 for me to make two pans worth. About $2 for the pasta, $1.50 for the ricotta mixture, less then $1 for the marinara and cheese combined.

Helpful tip: Do you ever have a random amount of leftover lasagna noodles that didn't fit in the pan? Here's a tip I learned and LOVE! Cut them into smaller strips, add the ricotta mixture in the middle, roll it up and use them the way you would a manicotti noodle or stuffed shell! I think that's a great idea, plus it's easier then stuffing manicotti! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...