Friday, January 14, 2011

Meal Challenge

I've been full swing in my meal challenge this week and thought you'd like to hear about it! :) I'm happy to say, I haven't cheated AND we've had some pretty good meals too. I started on Tuesday, but didn't prepare dinner that evening. We have dinner at church on Tuesdays, so I brought what I had signed up to bring.  On Wednesday we ate a soup that I had frozen in the freezer along with a can of biscuits that were anxious to be used! ;) Last night we ate a chicken recipe I found in the "Don't Panic, Dinner is in the Freezer" cookbook that I've been wanting to try. I served it with rice and frozen green beans from our farm day. I've enjoyed trying some of these recipes before doing large patches of them to make sure they are ones our family will like. This is one I had on my "try" list because of how simple it was and how few ingredients it uses. *I'll write more about that in a minute. Then, tonight for dinner we are having a roast, another one from the same cookbook and all of them have been made with ingredients we've had here! I'll serve it with some frozen veggies from the farm day too and it's one with a sauce that I'll pour over mashed potatoes, again, from the farm day! ;)

*About that chicken recipe, here it is: 
4 chicken breasts
8 oz. of Catalina dressing 
1 can of cranberries (I bought extra during Thanksgiving sales)
1 onion soup mix (I bought extra during Thanksgiving sales)

Mix the sauces together and pour it over the chicken. Bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until done. *Those are their directions, but we checked ours around 30-40 minutes and it was done, so I'd check sooner if you make it. If you want to freeze it, do so before cooking by putting it all in a freezer bag and labeling. Easy, huh? Well here is our family review: a bit on the sweet side, which we expected, but maybe a little too much. Also, I would really add more chicken because there was a TON of sauce left over and nothing to put it on. I think I'd do at least one or two more breasts if I did it again. So, if you like a bit of a sweet flavor, then this is an easy dinner to pull together in a pinch and for pretty cheap too. 

I'll keep you posted on how the rest of the week goes, I have some meal ideas for the next few days, so I'll share them with you later!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...