Thursday, July 28, 2011

T-Shirt Upcycle

For a while now I've seen all these great ideas of things people make with old t-shirts. We had a large supply of old t-shirts ourself, so I was looking forward to using them on something useful. I've actually done several things with them, today I'll share the first one.

What we had planned for the actual 4th of July, turned out to be on the 3rd of July so I as SCRAMBLING to finish this project in about 30 minutes. So, I'm sorry, but the pictures aren't the best.

I'd seen people make necklaces and bracelets out of old T-shirts and thought that would be a cute way for my daughter and I to match at the festivities. :) I also made my daughter a headband to wear out of the sleeves too.

Start with: 
I actually didn't end up using the needle and thread because the sleeve fit perfectly around my daughters head. :)
BUT, I did use a hot glue gun which I forgot to add to the picture. 
 Then, measure your strips of t-shirt to about 1 1/2 inches wide, cutting it through both sides of the shirt, don't cut the seams.


Pull them tight between your fingers and let them "roll" themselves. They'll look like this:


Then you just wrap them up however you'd like a tie them together for a necklace or bracelet.
 There are other ideas for bracelets, which I'll share with you another time too.

Then for the headband, like I mentioned I used about a 2 1/2 strip from the sleeve of my shirt as the "headband". Then to doll it up a bit, I added some "flowers". I basically wrapped and twisted a 1 1/2 in strip around itself and glued it along the way. 

  Like this:

They will look like this when you are finished: 
Sorry about the poor quality of picture.
AND, because I was in a hurry, I did a sloppy job with the glue and you can see that on the blue one. :-/ It'd look much better if I had time to be more cautious with where I put the glue. 
 The finished product with the most adorable models:
:)

So there you have it, my very first upcycle t-shirt project. I like the idea and think it would look really cute in different color combinations too.

Got any old t-shirts?? ;)

2 comments:

  1. You might like this post: http://www.howjoyful.com/2011/06/upcycle-t-shirts-to-summer-vest-tutorial/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that turned out great! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...