Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yogurt-Round 2 & 3

Remember a few months ago I posted about my homemade yogurt? Since then I've tried it two more times, making some variations each time. It's only fair that I share with you what I've learned, right? :)

The first variation I tried was to use Almond milk. It didn't work. It was a total FAIL. :( I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but after I did a lot more research, I found others have had trouble using Almond milk as well. It may something you have to use a non-dairy store bought yogurt starter pack for {which I didn't do}. If I try it again {which I'm scared to}, then I'll try that route. Anyone else have any suggestions?

The second variation was a HUGE success! I didn't bother trying to change out the milk this time. I used a whole dairy milk, because I know it works! :) The changes I did make though were:

1. To use some dry milk when I added the yogurt to the warmed milk. This made the final result a bit thicker. The yogurt came out with a better consistency, closer {not completely the same} to the store bought texture.

2. I also added vanilla flavoring and honey this time. It turned out delicious! :) It's not very sweet and doesn't have a strong vanilla flavor either, but just adding a little bit gave it enough flavor that it doesn't taste so bitter like plain usually does.

3. Made half a batch. Since I knew we were leaving on vacation, I didn't want to take a chance and have WAY more then we needed to use up in a short time frame. I know you can freeze it {I've done this already in ice cube trays-so I could use them in smoothies too- and it worked just fine}, but I just didn't need a lot more frozen right now. Anyway, it worked just fine. I was a little hesitant because I'd read the temperatures may need to be different for a smaller amount, but I didn't have any trouble. The yogurt is fantastic!

There you have it. Those are the few things I've learned since my first yogurt experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...